Apple AirTag automations are possible! AirTag can be used as NFC tag that can trigger iOS Shortcuts automations. Don’t worry an AirTag is still going to work as an item tracker even when you are using it as automations trigger, but let’s find out how.
What is Apple AirTag?
Apple AirTag is small, battery-powered device that can be used to track almost anything, from keys to pets. You can use many AirTags and they are all monitored using the Find My app on an iPhone. On top you can use AirTags as NFC trigger for the automations that are available in the Apple’s Shortcuts app.
What is needed for AirTags automations?
To make and use an AirTag Automation you will need an Apple iPhone XS, or newer and of course at least one Apple AirTag.
To start a Shortcuts AirTag automation you simply have to touch your iPhone with your AirTag or vice versa and you are done.
Before we continue further I just want to say that my YouTube channel reach 10,000 subscribers last week. To celebrate this I prepared a giveaway for you. All of the details can be seen later in the article. Just keep reading.
How to setup an AirTag Automation in Shortcuts?
Now, let’s see how to setup an AirTag automation in Apple Shortcuts. The automation will be the following:
- When you tap your phone with the AirTag,
- Your phone will show you the directions from your current location to your home for example,
- Plus it will set do not disturb mode to on,
- And it will send a custom text message to a person you wish.
- Open the Shortcuts app (if you don’t have it download it for free from the Appstore) , tap on Automation, and then +
- Tap on Create Personal Automation,
- Scroll down until you see NFC and select it,
- Scan your NFC tag (hold your AirTag in the upper part of the iPhone), and then name it somehow,
- Now, add one or more actions like: “Show Driving Directions from your current location to your home”, “Set Do Not Disturb to on until turned off” & “Send a message of your choice to a person you wish”
- Hit Next and disable Ask Before Running switch if you wish the AirTag Automation to be executed without asking you to confirm every time.
- Finally tap on Done and you are ready to test your AirTag Automation. Just tap your phone (upper part) with your AirTag.
Of course you can customize the actions in the automation as you prefer. All of the iOS supported actions are available for you to choose from.
Here is what will happen when we create the above automation and when we use the AirTag as automation trigger.
Sponsor this article?
Before we continue to the giveaway details I just want to share that this video is not sponsored by Apple. But you can be my sponsor by just hitting the Subscribe button to my free Newsletter 👉 LINK.
“Sponsoring” the article that way will cost you nothing more than a few mouse moves and button clicks.
Thank you 🙏
If you’re in love with AirTags, be sure to check out the best AirTag accessories in my opinion:
- 360 Full Magnetic Case For Airtags Metal Bumper Sleeve (AliExpress Affiliate) 👉 LINK
- Airtag case For Apple Airtags Liquid Silicone Protective Sleeve(AliExpress Affiliate) 👉 LINK
I bought the above things and I’m happy with their price/quality ratio! I will add more things in the future if I buy & like something.
It is a give away time as we grown up to 10,000 subscribers in YouTube. To participate in the give-away you just have to leave a comment under the AirTag Automations video 👉 LINK.
That is it and nothing more! Simple as that! Leave a comment there now and you will have a chance to win one of these cool stickers with my logo and my slogan.
In my next video which will be next Wednesday I will announce the winners, so you have one week to leave a comment in my YT channel under the AirTags video.
If you are just entering in a Smart Home world I have a Smart Home Getting Started Actionable Guide that can be very useful for you. It is not free, but I bet it will save your money and time!
SMART HOME Getting Started Actionable Guide
28 unique printable pages in a Smart Home Getting Started Actionable Guide designed to help you make the best decisions and your Home Smart right away!
With that being said stay safe and don’t forget – Home Smart, but not Hard.
Thank you for reading and I will see you next Wednesday.