The LD2410 human presence sensor is a remarkable device that offers exceptional sensitivity, capable of detecting even the slightest human movement. It works natively with Home Assistant over Bluetooth, but connected that way it have some drawbacks.
Table of Contents
LD2410 Human Presence Sensor Bluetooth Limitations
The LD2410 is affordable, priced at under $4 dollars, and its user-friendly nature make it an ideal choice for creating effective presence-based home automation setups.
In this guide, we will explore a clever solution to overcome potential Bluetooth coverage limitations using an ESP32 board as an intermediary. By utilizing the ESP32’s WiFi capabilities, we can extend the wireless coverage while preserving the benefits of the LD2410 sensor.
To embark on this DIY project, gather the following hardware components:
- At least one LD2410 sensor (Bluetooth is not a must)
- An ESP32 or ESP8266 board, such as the D1 Mini ESP32 or similar
- A data Micro USB cable for powering the D1 Mini and uploading ESPHome software
- Jumper / Dupont wires for connections (optionally a breadboard)
- Soldering iron and tin wire (if needed)
Here are some affiliate links from where you can buy everything that is needed for this DIY project:
- LD2410B (Amazon) – https://amzn.to/43AwPb9
- LD2410B (AliExpress) – https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DFFkfSx
- LD2410C (Amazon) – https://amzn.to/42cDcAe
- LD2410C (AliExpress) – https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DeeEUiv
- D1 Mini ESP32 (AliExpress)- https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_9R1Z6b
- D1 Mini ESP32 (Amazon) – https://amzn.to/3s8wrms
- Micro USB Cable (AliExpress) – https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DmMNO6L
- Micro USB cable (Amazon) – https://amzn.to/32tdxdF
- Jumper Wires (AliExpress) – https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_Aluq3z https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_A3YiR3
- Jumper Wires (Amazon) – https://amzn.to/3fRlXyK
- (Optional) USB adapter EU US UK (AliExpress) – https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DkiYZ3H
- (Optional) USB adapter (Amazon) – https://amzn.to/3u2Tdvj https://amzn.to/3qXkJYS
- (Optional) Soldering Iron (Amazon) – https://amzn.to/3l8IGfn
- (Optional) Soldering Iron (AliExpress) – https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_Desufz9
Ensure you have the following software tools:
- Home Assistant with Add-on store. That is our central home automation hub
- ESPHome Dashboard for installing and managing ESPHome devices
What if you don’t have Add-on store or Home Assistant?
To learn more about Home Assistant official installation types, add-on store, their pros & cons + 1 super simple way to get started on a PC -feel free to join my Webinar where I’ll talk exactly about that.
The Webinar is free and you can reserve your seat right now from my other website https://automatelike.pro/webinar.
Here’s how to connect the components:
- Connect LD2410 VCC pin to D1 Mini ESP32 VCC pin
- Connect LD2410 GND pin to D1 Mini ESP32 GND pin
- Connect LD2410 RX pin to D1 Mini ESP32 TX pin
- Connect LD2410 TX pin to D1 Mini ESP32 RX pin
Below you can find the same thing, but in more visual way
ESP32 LD2410 5V ------------------ VCC GND ----------------- GND RX ------------------- Uart-Tx TX ------------------- Uart-Rx
Even more visual here is the final result. The resulting connection looks like this:
- Connect the D1 Mini using a Micro USB cable to your Home Assistant and ESPHome setup for initial ESPHome installation.
- Create a new ESPHome device in ESPHome Dashboard.
- Paste the provided ESPHome configuration YAML code into the device configuration – LINK
- Save and install the configuration to the device.
LD2410 & ESP32 Home Assistant Setup:
- Once the device is installed and operational, you can move the D1 Mini 32 and LD2410 sensor to your desired locations, as long as they have USB power and WiFi coverage – they will work!
- In Home Assistant Integrations section, the LD2410 sensor should be auto-discovered and ready for use.
- You cn create custom home automations based on presence detection. For example, you can automatically turn on lights when human presence is detected.
What if you want to try LD2410 over Bluetooth?
If you want to ditch the ESP32 board and to use only the LD2410 over Bluetooth in your Home Assistant – no worries. Just check any of my previous articles:
- How to detect human presence with LD2410B sensor and Home Assistant
- Smart Presence Sensor with LD2410 – Cheap and Easy solution
By leveraging the LD2410 human presence sensor’s sensitivity and combining it with the ESP32’s WiFi capabilities, you can create powerful and flexible home automation solutions. This DIY project offers an affordable way to overcome Bluetooth coverage limitations, extending your home automation possibilities.
Feel free to share your ideas and experiences in the comments section, contributing to a vibrant community of creative home automation enthusiasts.
For simple, but useful explanations of the most common Smart Home words and Acronym download this free Smart Home Glossary available as a PDF file – https://automatelike.pro/glossary
Stay tuned for more exciting projects!
I’m Kiril, and I look forward to seeing you in the next one. Goodbye!